Undergoing updates for Sakai 21
The Discussions tool in Sakai (formerly known as Forums) allows you to have online class discussions. Discussions are asynchronous, which means participants do not have to be online at the same time.
Discussion forums are a popular activity in online and hybrid courses and can be used in traditional courses as well. Discussion forums can provide opportunities for in-depth student reflection, application of concepts, and peer learning. Discussion forums also add a critical element of student-to-student interaction to online instruction.
- Sakai 21 User Guide: Discussions
- How to Set Up Forum Topics: Video | Handout
- How to Grade Students' Forum Posts: Video | Handout
Best Practices for Forums
- Best Practices for Forums (pdf) - Our best advice, all on one page
- Discussion Forum Questions Used by Durham Tech Instructors (pdf)
- Discussion Forum Guidelines and Grading (pdf)
- Tips to enhance student engagement in online discussions