Sakai: Logging in
- 1 What is Sakai?
- 2 What computer hardware and software do I need to use Sakai?
- 3 How do I log in to Sakai?
- 4 What if I forget my password?
- 5 What do I do after logging in?
- 6 How do I access my course in Sakai?
- 7 Where do I go for help?
- 8 Sakai Tutorial
What is Sakai?
Sakai is Durham Tech’s new system for accessing course materials online. Sakai is similar in many ways to Blackboard but offers an updated interface and new tools for collaboration and learning.
Sakai will replace Blackboard at Durham Tech by December 2013. Until then, as we phase in Sakai, some of your courses may use Sakai and others may use Blackboard. If you don’t see all of your courses on Sakai or on Blackboard – don’t panic! Check with your instructor to find out which system he or she is using for your course.
What computer hardware and software do I need to use Sakai?
The requirements are pretty much the same as for Blackboard. You will need:
- a computer (PC or Mac) with high-speed Internet access
- a ConnectMail email account (provided by Durham Tech)
- a reasonably current web browser (Firefox 4 or higher is the recommended browser)
- current version of Java installed (how to get the current version of Java)
Note to Mac users: Use the free Firefox web browser instead of Safari.
How do I log in to Sakai?
To log in to Sakai, you will use the SAME user id and password you use for WebAdvisor!
- Go to http://sakai.durhamtech.edu
- Enter your Sakai user id and password:
What if I forget my password?
IMPORTANT: Changing your password in Sakai automatically changes your WebAdvisor password and vice versa. The two will always be the same!
Need help resetting your password?
- Instructions for resetting your WebAdvisor password (DTCC)
- Contact the Information Technology Services Department (ITSD) help desk at 919-536-7200 ext.6111
What do I do after logging in?
When you log into Sakai, you are in "My Workspace,” a private area where you can access your course sites (under “More Sites”) and store private files (in “Resources”). My Workspace also displays an aggregated Calendar and Recent Announcements from your course sites.
Verify your email address in Sakai
Click on Account on the left to verify your email address. If no email address is listed (or if the address listed is incorrect), contact Sakai help: firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I access my course in Sakai?
Click on the “More Sites” link at the top of the screen (to the right of the Durham Tech logo) to see a list of all course sites you have access to. Then click on any course title to go into that course.
REMEMBER: Don’t panic if you do not see all of your courses listed in Sakai! Check with your instructor to find out which system he or she is using for the course.
Where do I go for help?
If you need help with Sakai, several options are available:
Check with your instructor
It's important to let your instructor know if you’re having a problem that may affect your ability to complete your assignments. Instructors organize their courses differently so the answer to your question may be specific to the way they are doing things.
Check out the online help resources
Visit the Sakai Help for Students resources (under construction)
Contact Durham Tech's Instructional Technology team
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 919-536-7213 (Mon-Fri, 8am - 5pm)
When contacting support, please provide the following info:
- Your first & last name
- The class you're taking that’s using Sakai
- A detailed description of the problem you're having
- A phone number where you can be reached
- Please cc: your instructor on any emails you send to the support team!
Sakai Tutorial The first time a user (instructor or student) logs in to Sakai, a brief tutorial displays presenting basic info about the features and layout of Sakai. After closing the tutorial, you can access it again at any time for a refresher. Access the tutorial by clicking on User icon at the top right corner of the screen (to the left of the Logout button) and choosing Tutorial.