Sakai: Logging in
- 1 What is Sakai?
- 2 What computer hardware and software do I need to use Sakai?
- 3 How do I log in to Sakai?
- 4 What if I forget my password?
- 5 What do I do after logging in?
- 6 How do I access my course in Sakai?
- 7 When I log in to Sakai I don't see all my courses listed, why?
- 8 How do I log out?
- 9 Where do I go for help?
What is Sakai?
Sakai is a system for accessing course materials online. Instructors use Sakai in a variety of ways – for example, to provide course information, handouts, assignments, tests, grades, or online discussions.
- To learn more, watch the brief Sakai Tour for Students video.
What computer hardware and software do I need to use Sakai?
To access a course on Sakai you need:
- a computer (PC or Mac) with high-speed Internet access
- an email address
- Note: Credit students must use their ConnectMail email account (provided by Durham Tech)
- a reasonably current web browser (Firefox or Chrome are recommended) - Download Firefox | Download Chrome
How do I log in to Sakai?
To log in to Sakai, you will use the SAME user id and password you use for WebAdvisor!
- Go to https://sakai.durhamtech.edu
- Enter your Durham Tech user name and password:
The first time you use Durham Tech’s Sakai system, you must set up your password. For complete instructions, see this handout:
What if I forget my password?
IMPORTANT: Changing your Sakai password automatically changes your WebAdvisor and ConnectMail passwords too.
Need help resetting your password?
- Instructions for resetting your password (PDF)
- Need additional assistance? Contact 919-536-7200 ext. 6111 or email@example.com
What do I do after logging in?
The first time you log in, a brief tutorial appears that gives basic info about using Sakai. After closing the tutorial, you can access it again at any time by clicking on your name in the top right corner of the screen.
Each time you log into Sakai, you land in your "Home" space, where you can access your courses and store private files. Home also displays an aggregated Calendar and Recent Announcements from all of your course sites.
Verify your email address in Sakai
The first time you log in: Click on Account on the left to verify your email address. Emails your instructor sends to you through Sakai will go to this address.
- If your email address is missing or incorrect, contact the appropriate department.
Upload a photo (optional)
Students may upload a photo of themselves to their Sakai Profile. The photo will appear in the Roster in your courses on Sakai and beside your posts in Sakai Forums.
- On the Sakai Profile Photos page, you can learn about acceptable photos and how to upload them
How do I access my course in Sakai?
When I log in to Sakai I don't see all my courses listed, why?
Course sites on Sakai usually become available on the course start date to students who have registered and paid.
If you don't see your course listed in Sakai, check with your instructor to make sure he/she is using Sakai and to find out when he/she will make the course site visible to students.
How do I log out?
To protect your account, always remember to log out when you are done using Sakai!
- To log out: Simply click on your name in the upper right corner and choose Log Out