Create Videos using YouTube’s MyWebcam Tool
YouTube’s MyWebcam tool is a free tool you can use to record short videos using a webcam. Instructors could use the tool to record videos and add them to Sakai courses. Videos could be used to introduce yourself to students in your classes or introduce weekly lessons or assignments.
What do I need to record a video?
- Gmail account
- Webcam (some webcams have built in microphones)
- Microphone (if your webcam doesn’t have a microphone)
- Flash installed on your computer
Tip: Before recording your video it’s a good idea to write a script. Save the script as a text file. You can use your script to add captions to your video.
Record and upload a video
- YouTube’s MyWebcam tool
- Log in with a Gmail account
- Have your script ready when you want to record your video. Click Start recording to record your video.
- On the Flash Player settings screen select Allow and click Close.
Tip: The webcam starts recording as soon as you click Allow.
- You can click Start over to record your video again. Click Stop recording to stop the video. Click the play button to watch the video.
- When you are finished recording your video, click Upload to upload the video to YouTube.
- Enter info about the video in Basic info:
- Enter a title for your video
- Enter a description for your video
- Delete the webcam and video tags
- Click on the drop down list to select the video privacy settings. The recommended setting is Unlisted.
- Public (anyone can search and find the video)
- Unlisted (the video is not available via search, only people with the link can see the video)
- Private (the video is only available to you)
- More info about video privacy settings (YouTube)
- Click Save changes
- In the YouTube Video Manager menu on the left side of the screen, click on Uploads. Find the video you want to add captions to and click Edit.
Tip: If you don’t see the Video Manager menu on the left side of the screen, click on the Settings button in the top right corner of the screen and choose Video Manager.
- At the top of the screen click on Captions. Click on the + Add captions drop down list and choose Upload a file. Click Upload to browse your computer for your script file. You’ll receive a confirmation that the transcript is syncing with the video. This may take a few minutes. English is the default language for captions.
- After the transcript is synced with the video the track will display in the Active tracks list.
- Click the play button to watch the video with captions.
- Click on Info and Settings. On the right side of the screen look for Video Information. The Video URL: is the link to the video that you’ll add to your Sakai course. Copy this link.
Add a video to a Sakai course in Lessons
- Instructions for using the Sakai Lessons tool
- Log in to Sakai and go to the course that you want to add your video to.
- On the course menu click on Lessons and click on the subpage. Click on Add Multimedia. Paste the YouTube video link in the URL: box and click Save. The video will display in the lesson.
- Add a link to the video. Click on Add Text and use the text editor to add the video link. Click on the Link button and paste the link in the URL box. Click on the Target tab and select New Window (_blank) from the drop down list. Click Ok. Click Save. The video link will display. Click the link to open the video in another window or tab.