Create Videos using YouTube’s My Webcam Tool
YouTube’s My Webcam tool is a free tool you can use to record short videos using a webcam. Instructors could record videos and add them to Sakai courses to introduce yourself to students in your classes. Or introduce weekly lessons or assignments.
What do I need to record a video?
- Gmail account
- Webcam (some webcams have built in microphones)
- Microphone (if your webcam doesn’t have a microphone)
- Flash installed on your computer
Tip: Before recording your video it’s a good idea to write a script. Save the script as a text file. You can use your script to add captions to your video.
Record and upload a video
- YouTube’s My Webcam tool
- Log in with a Gmail account
- Record a video. Instructions for recording a video
- Enter info about the video in Basic info
- Enter a title for your video
- Enter a description for your video
- Tags: Delete the webcam and video tags
- Video privacy settings:
- Select Unlisted (recommended setting) from the drop down list
- Public (anyone can search and find the video)
- Unlisted (the video is not available via search, only people with the link can see the video)
- Private (the video is only available to you)
- More info about video privacy settings: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/157177
- Click Save changes